Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - "Mom, I'm bored!"


It's Works-For-Me-Wednesday time again, and this week, Shannon would like to know what we do when we hear, "Mom, I'm bored." -
-
It's true, the mere thought of summer vacation can strike fear into the hearts of parents everywhere. I remember those days, in our pre-homeschooling years. Each summer we went from having a daily routine (getting up early, having breakfast, going to school for 7 hours, coming home, doing homework, eating dinner, taking baths, going to bed...) to, well, doing a whole lot of nothing: sleeping late, watching a lot of TV, having no real structure or routine, and before long, getting really, really bored.
-
Things are a lot different now that we homeschool. I mean, our lives don't really change all that much when summer sets in. We do take a break from school work, thankfully. But, I am used to having my kids home with me all the time, and they are used to being here, so it's not really all that much different. The kids are actually just happy to have their lessons done for now and be free to do what they want for awhile.
-
But still, even homeschooled kids have their moments...

- and yes, they. do. get. bored.
-
But ya' know what? I am sort've a mean mom when it comes to this because, I don't feel that I am here to entertain them. And I tell them that. If one of them comes whining to me about being bored and asking, "Mommy, whaaaat can I dooooo?" I usually reply with something like, "Do you really want me to come up with something for you to do? Or would you like to come up with an idea of your own?" At that point they usually catch on that, if I am the one to give them an activity, it will most likely be some sort of chore for them to do. So most of the time, they opt to quit whining and find something to do!
-
And we do have plenty to do around here, especially during the summer. We have our usual housework to do each day. My kids have friends in the neighborhood who can come and play since they are out of school for the summer. And then, there are the gajillions of toys and games that have taken over our house!
-
This summer, I am keeping my niece and nephew every Thursday, and I have planned to do a "summer-camp" type of thing with all the kids each time they are here. We'll do some activities in the morning, such as crafts and a few lessons of various sorts. Then, in the afternoon we'll either get out the sprinkler and wading pool in the back yard, or we'll go to the water park to play. Not only does this give the kids something to do on Thursdays, it also gives them something to look forward to earlier in the week. Plus, it gives me something to bribe them with..."If you want to go to the pool on Thursday with your cousins, then you'd better have your room cleaned up!" HaHa... told you I was a mean mom.
-
What about you? Are you ready to have the kids at home this summer? I'm looking forward to reading all the great tips over at Rocks in My Dryer.

1 comment:

chickadee said...

i feel the same way. if they're bored make them clean. it helps them find something to do real quick.