Monday, May 19, 2008

If I Were a Rich (Wo)Man...Ya da de-da-di-da-de-da-di-da-de-da-di-da-dum...

(I reread this post this morning, and made several changes. I was tired last night when I wrote it.)
-
Today we are continuing with the discussion of what is behind my blog funk. -
-
Recently our income dropped by... well, let's just say it dropped significantly. Let me give you a little background. See, we keep two bank accounts. One is strictly for paying bills, and most of dh's paycheck is directly deposited into that account. Then, almost all of our bills are direct-drafted out of that account. We set it up this way so that the chief billpayer in our household (that would be me) doesn't forget to pay the bills and run up a bunch of late charges and get the phone shut off and all that stuff, not that that ever actually happened or anything. So, it works for us to do it this way.
-
The other account is for other expenses, such as gas and groceries. We keep them separate so that bill-paying money doesn't get spent on other stuff. And after the bill-paying account takes its share of dh's paycheck, most of what's left goes into the "other" account, and then a very little amount goes into savings. For a long time, I've been able to contribute to the "other" account by doing a little work on the side. It was not much, as far as work goes, and I was certainly overpayed for the little bit that I actually did. But, it was an effort made by a generous soul who was trying to help our little family by allowing me to complete some simple bookwork each month. This person did not really need my help, but was genuinely trying to find a way to help us out.
-
So now, the economy has gone kaputz and gas prices have shot up, and things aren't going well financially for anyone. (Except for the oil companies.) My "employer" has not had much business for the past several months, and needs my help even less now than before. And since the business is not doing so good, this person cannot even afford to keep me on the payroll. Which, I completely understand because as I said, this person was just being nice to begin with, and I did not in any way deserve the kindness that I received in the form of a paycheck each week.
-
That being said, as much as I tried not to, I did get a little used to having that paycheck every week. And I'll admit that I got pretty spoiled, not having to worry so much about money all of the time. And now I am realizing how stupid I've been all this time, by not putting more of that extra paycheck back into savings for when we'd really need it. Like right now, when there are medical bills to pay; prescriptions that need filled that, even with insurance, still cost a small fortune; one child that is ready for braces now and another child who will be in the next year or two; and a central heat and air unit that is about to give up the ghost, right on the brink of the hottest time of the year. So, those are a few of the concerns that stay on my mind a lot of the time. It's getting a little cluttered up there (in my mind). Makes it kinda hard to think.
-
And I know that we are going to be okay, don't get me wrong. It's not fun living from paycheck to paycheck , but we've got a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and we've never gone hungry. And missing a few meals would not really hurt (me, anyways). We're having a yard sale this weekend, and I'm going to start listing some things on eBay. And hey - I can always get a job working nights, right? I mean, who needs sleep anyways? Sleep is highly overrated.

1 comment:

chickadee said...

i know how you feel. we are experiencing a bit of a crunch too with the prices all going up. we have been examining our bills to see what we can cut to make it through. if we didn't already have our big trip paid for we sure wouldn't be going now.