Thursday, May 8, 2008

Poor Ralph.

LilBub needed a lesson today in how to behave when you're upset. His current method involves any combination of the following behaviors: yelling, screaming, punching, slapping, kicking, pinching, spitting, throwing things, and slamming doors. It's not usually "that bad", but sometimes it is. Sometimes I fully expect to see his eyes glowing and his head spinning around in circles.
-
Nevertheless, I am trying to be a patient, yet firm, parent and help him through this phase. This morning after a little incident involving talking back to me (or in this case, yelling at me because I didn't do what he wanted when he wanted me to do it), I sent him to his bed and told him to lie down and wait for me. After letting him settle down for 10 minutes or so, I went in to have a talk with him. I took my Bible with me.
-
I showed him Proverbs 15:1, that says, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." I explained to him how speaking gently and responding calmly, even when you're upset, can make a bad situation better. And, how being "ugly" and talking mean only stirs up the anger... like a big tornado that comes through and stirs everything up.
-
So he's soaking it all in, and I'm really thinking that I'm getting through to him. I ask him to work on memorizing the verse with me, and for the next few minutes we worked on saying it together. Then I asked him to say it by himself...
-
And he said, "A gentle answer turns away ralph, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
-
**mom smacks forehead**
-
Can't say I didn't try. Poor Ralph.

3 comments:

bc said...

hehehehe... i love it!
you need to make a flannelgraph of it :D

for what it's worth, i think you're doing a fantastic job.
happy mothers day!

PFMommy said...

aw, tanx. :)

chickadee said...

oh my goodness! that's funny.