Saturday, May 17, 2008

Other People's Problems (Make Me Sad)

I told you earlier that I was in a blog funk, and I wasn't sure why. Well, I think I've figured out what part of my problem is. For the past several weeks, my dh has been getting several phone calls each night. His longtime friend, Greg, is going through a heartbreaking situation in his marriage. He calls my dh, 700 miles away, partly because he trusts my dh to give him good, Christian counsel, but more so because he has no one else there to talk to.
-
Greg is the kind of guy that anyone can get along with. He has visited us many times in the past 10 years. Last year he brought his wife and baby to our home for a weekend, so we could get to know them. Jen and I hit it off immediately. We talked and talked all weekend long. I really felt good about Greg and Jen's relationship. They seemed happy, and really in love. Needless to say, it's been so upsetting and so shocking to hear of the troubles they are having. And it is breaking our hearts. Greg calls nearly every night and talks to dh, sometimes for hours. Dh mostly just listens. Last night, when he got off the phone, dh was so distraught for his friend that he was sick to his stomach. We just sat and held each other, so sad that this is happening to our friends.
-
And the worst part of it is, it's over nothing. She just decided she doesn't love him anymore. So she's taking their son and leaving. End of story. How does this happen?
-
It's. just. sad. And it's hard to be funny when your heart is heavy. Who knew that someone else's marital problems could affect me this way? *sigh*

1 comment: