Friday, January 4, 2008

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - "Pufferfish?"

"Also called swellfish, or blowfish, any of about 90 species of fishes of the family Tetraodontidae,
noted for their ability when disturbed to inflate themselves so greatly with air or water
that they become globular in form."
[from Encyclopedia Britannica Online]

I feel that way sometimes, that if I’m disturbed just one more time, I might explode! My life is full of interruptions and disturbances, if you will. That is because my job, my occupation of choice, comes with its own little personalized set of disturbances. Some people get a company car or a fancy office…I get three short people who follow me around calling me “Mom”. But ya know what? I’m cool with that. I can handle short people and all their shortcomings. And as a matter of fact, don’t go telling them this, but I actually like having them around. (Shhh!)

But alas, I am a human being, and I do relish the occasional peace and quiet. That is something that is so rare at my house, especially since we homeschool. We live at home. We have school at home. We do just about everything AT HOME. So, when there are three children consistently in one house, there is rarely peace and quiet.

Oftentimes at the end of the day, when the little monsters, er, um.. darlings have said their prayers and are tucked away in their beds, I feel like hanging a “Do Not Disturb” sign around my neck for the rest of the evening. My poor hubby, he really gets the raw end of the deal sometimes. After all, he’s not the one that wore me down to my last nerve, but he’s the one who has to deal with the results. That’s when he calls me a “pufferfish”. “Are you pufferfishin’ tonight, hon?” he asks. That’s how he knows to give me some space, so I don’t explode - cause that would not be a pretty sight.

And sometimes, a pufferfish just has to get some things off her chest so she can deflate again. That’s the reason I’m starting this blog, aside from my regular homeschooling blog, just to give me a space to exhale.

No comments: