Monday, January 7, 2008

The Game

Yeah, so it's been a sad night tonight. Not really, but I have to say that for my husband. See, the big Ohio State/Louisiana game was tonight. (woop-ee!) Evidently this is a big thing for Ohioans, or in dh's case - former Ohioans. Dh invited fellow Ohio State fans and even some who weren't necessarily Ohio State fans but more whoever-is-playing-against-Louisiana fans, to come over and watch the game on our 18-inch-not-so-BIG SCREEN TV.
-
The wives of these guys came as well, and us girls pretty much kept to ourselves for the evening. We ate an insane amount of almond bark popcorn and talked each other's ears off. We even left at one point, and I don't know that the guys even knew we were gone. I watched the game for all of about, oh, 2 minutes, maybe. Just long enough to know that Ohio State lost. And dh was crushed like an empty soda can. So much that he called his big brother in Cincy to have a little mourning-session over the phone. Ds (11) overheard part of the conversation between the two. When dh went in to say prayers with ds, ds said, "Dear God, please help Daddy to have a good day at work tomorrow, even though everyone is going to tease him about losing the football game. Amen." Then ds looked at dh and said, "Can't you just stay home tomorrow?" I think ds is a little worried about his daddy.
-
I guess it's a good lesson for the kids, as well as for us grownups, that sometimes even the best teams LOSE. And as one of my favorite teachers used to say, "It's not about whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game."

2 comments:

ilovemy3angelbabies said...

Hey, it's been awhile since I have left a comment on your blog as I have been away from HSB with so many things going on and NOT ENOUGH TIME to write. I have enjoyed getting caught up with what's been going on with you. I have bookmarked you and your new blog address.

My husband is an Ohio State fan as well and our house was NOT a happy place to be in that night! :>(

I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts prayers.

Blessings!
Laura
ilovemy3angelbabies

Bev. said...

Thanks, Laura!!! Great to see you - I'm glad you popped in! :)

Our poor hubby's, huh? The way dh talks, it's like he played the game himself or something. LOL.

~Bev~